Sunday, April 6, 2014

Reading event summary

Hi Folks,

I went to a show called "The Signal Season Of Dummy Hoy". It performed at Gene Frankel theater in Manhattan. It was directed by Marlee Koenigsberg. The show focused on the deaf baseball player named William Hoy. His nickname was "Dummy" because he couldn't hear and at that time in the 1800's. William "Dummy" Hoy was born hearing but became deaf later on. The show focused on the journey of Hoy to become the first deaf professional baseball player for the Chicago White Sox. He has a remarkable record of: 2,000 hits, 1,400 hits, 594 stolen bases, 287 batting average, and .386 on base percentage. The info can be found in the baseball hall of fame.

The show was amazing. The props, lighting, and the dialogs was flawless. It was a great show. There was no voice-overs but there was captions. Only 1 deaf actor was in the show and the rest are hearing. One of the actors is a sign language interpreter Jon Wolfe Nelson. If you have seen "The L Word" show he was involved with that show. The script was flawless and I enjoyed every moment of it.

Photo coming up soon. I didn't take a picture of myself at the event due to no photography rule. I will scan the playbill and the ticket soon

1 comment:

  1. This was interesting to know; I never heard of a deaf baseball player before. But I used to be a baseball fan; I didn't grew out of it just lack interest intentionally. I notice there's a movie called "I see the crowd roar: the story of william dummy hoy." Its hard to find; I only read a story about his life.

    ReplyDelete