Saturday, May 31, 2014

My writer statement

 As a deaf person myself I noticed often deaf people do struggle with puns and humor when they write stories. I have noticed this trend over the times. I get puns from current events and the English language syntax. Growing up I always was motivated to learn new vocabulary and at my High School times my vocabulary expanded. For example the infamous cabinet word. A cabinet meeting which means a governmental staff like the presidential cabinet. But I take the word cabinet and using both definitions. Example "A cabinet meeting is taking place in a cabinet in a K-Mart". I also play with current events and if you noticed in my USA Yesterday I never write a depressing or a violent story. I do not like violence and feel that if I wrote a violent story the humor will be let go and the reader will be puzzled.

At the last page I always like to put down fake ad playing with the deaf and the hearing world cultures. For example the very first ad I wrote down was "Learn Sign Language Through A Phone! No Video Equipment Required". In the real world it is impossible to learn that type of language because it requires visual contact. Then came the fake interpreter scandal with the Mandela interpreter. I mocked that by blending him and a real life interpreter agency that many sign language interpreters do not support due to hiring unqualified interpreters and pay reasons. I cannot name the agency due to privacy reasons but I play with that concept. I even put down sarcasm in the ad by saying "Listen to those satisfied deaf clients whom used our agency!" but those people were not happy. Would you like a interpreter pelting you vegetables because you didn't speak clearly or loudly. No!

I love to write funny stories and playing with the words. I get thrilled when people discovered that they didn't realize that it was written by a deaf person. 12 pages I wrote all myself and they were all floored.

No comments:

Post a Comment